MikeMullin

Mike Mullin, Author

I'm the author of the ASHFALL three-and-a-half-ology: ASHFALL, ASHEN WINTER, SUNRISE, and DARLA'S STORY.

Possibly the Best Memoir I've Read

Ten Points - Bill Strickland

Ten Points is a spectacular, soaring achievement of a book, full of the searing honesty that characterizes the best memoirs, yet ultimately also full of hope.

At one level it's a book about Strickland's quest to earn ten points in a season of bike races. At another, it's about Strickland's childhood, surviving horrific abuse at the hands of his father. If you doubt the existence of pure evil in the world, Strickland's father will disabuse you of that fantasy. And at a still deeper level, it's about Strickland's battle to be a good father himself, to cope with his demons and grant his wife and daughter the kind of family he never had. And while he's only partially successful in that struggle, the effort is beautiful, filling me with hope both for survivors of abuse and humanity as a whole.

The writing is perfect, lean and spare, using the absolute minimum number of words needed affect the reader deeply. Twice I was so shocked I had to put the book down for a few hours, to give myself a break. I cried twice, too. It's a rare book that can worm it's way into my emotions that deeply, and a testament to Strickland's skill as a writer.

Highly recommended.