MikeMullin

Mike Mullin, Author

I'm the author of the ASHFALL three-and-a-half-ology: ASHFALL, ASHEN WINTER, SUNRISE, and DARLA'S STORY.

Ghost Boy: The Miraculous Escape of a Misdiagnosed Boy Trapped Inside His Own Body - Martin Pistorius

Ghost Boy is a spectacular triumph of a memoir, almost as inspiring as its subject, Martin Pistorius. As a teen, Martin fell ill with a still-undiagnosed disease, losing control of his body and the ability to speak. For nine years he was trapped in his shell of a body, unable to communicate or move, until a carer, Virna, talked his parents into testing him with a device that allowed him to communicate via eye movements. Over the next few years, Martin gradually learned to communicate with the outside world, improving to the extent that he could hold down a job, write this memoir, and even woo and win the heart of his now-wife, Joanna.

If you're feeling the weight of the world, read this book. I came away from Martin's story absolutely inspired. If Martin could overcome the challenges in his life, certainly I can conquer the much less severe challenges in my own life. Martin's story is heartbreaking, beautiful, and uplifting all at the same time. Everyone should read it.